Sometimes it works . . . sometimes it doesn't.

Monday, November 7, 2011

So . . . I made a skirt.

I don't know what I was thinking. 
I had one yard of fabric and I wanted to make myself a skirt with it.  Granted, I am small enough that technically, I could make a skirt from one yard of fabric, but it would have to be sewn like a pillowcase with both ends left open.  Which is not what I was going for.
After perusing the internets for ideas on how I should go about this, I saw a few different tutorials for skirts that were super cute . . . and all required about twice as much fabric as what I had.  So I thought, I'll just make it up .  . how hard could it be?
The answer?  While making up a skirt pattern is not actually hard, my skirt is never going to be worn by me.  Because one yard of fabric is simply not enough.
I traced myself a pattern piece from an existing skirt I own, cut two, both on the bias, and used the leftovers to make a ruffle at the bottom.  I finished with 1/4" elastic sewn directly to the waist.  It did turn out cute, if I say so myself.  But.
But. The waist is 18 inches.  It will be cute for a little girl, although I have no idea what girl's size that translates to.
Even so, I did learn something, and I will definitely be trying this again with a bigger cut.  When I do, I'll share some more detailed instructions.  I think this one gets filed in the "kind of worked" bin. 



Now. . . what to do with a girl's size (8? 10? I have no idea) skirt?

2 comments:

  1. I love that you were brave enough to try it without a pattern!

    One time I was making a skirt (with a pattern) but forgot to measure the pattern against myself to see how the sizing compared. Yeah, I totally made it way too small!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has made that kind of mistake!

    ReplyDelete