Sometimes it works . . . sometimes it doesn't.

Monday, November 7, 2011

A Birthday Present

Kids sure have a simple way of seeing things.
My oldest son is going to be turning the ripe old age of three in a few weeks.  In true mom fashion, I've been asking him what he wants for his birthday.  In true kid fashion, he started talking about grandma's house, airplanes, and building snowmen. In other words: I think that means he has no idea what a birthday present is.  
So, I started talking to him about what a birthday is, and what happens on a birthday - cake, candles, balloons, presents, sometimes a party.  He quickly latched onto the idea that he's going to get a toy on his birthday.  
What toy does he want?
A $4.99 plastic car that he saw at the grocery store.  
What do I want to get him?
Some of his favorite books (Green Eggs and Ham, anyone?), plus an age-appropriate remote control vehicle.  Considering the amount of time he spent this last weekend drooling over his uncle's RC truck, it is an excellent choice on my part.
Luckily, we have the funds to give him the gifts we have chosen, and also take him to the grocery store and let him choose a car on his birthday.  Wyatt's birthday is going to be lots of fun, and I hope he loves it in an amount equal or greater to the amount I am excited for it.  I hope he is so excited when he sees the gifts we have bought for him.
But now I've been wondering; how many times do I think just the same way when it comes to the blessings and gifts that Heavenly Father gives to me or wants to give to me?
How often am I looking forward to a five-dollar grocery store toy, when there is actually a gift worth ten times as much waiting for me?  
I'm afraid the answer is
FAR TOO OFTEN.
Going even further, I think sometimes the five-dollar car is withheld from me and I cry and rant and don't understand why I can't have it without even realizing that it's not because Heavenly Father doesn't want to give me a gift.  It's just because He wants to give me a gift that is so much better.
The longer I am a mother of toddlers, the more I realize that I am in many ways, a toddler myself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment