Sometimes it works . . . sometimes it doesn't.

Friday, December 7, 2012

Christmas Books Part 1

Last year, we started a new tradition with the boys: An advent/countdown of sorts with Christmas books. We are by far not the first family to do this - in fact, I blatantly copied it from someone else.  Copying good ideas is always a good idea! (How's that for redundant?)
Basically, Every day from December 1-24, there is a different book under the Christmas tree (or in the hallway outside of the boys' bedroom sometimes), all wrapped up and ready to open. They take turns opening, or help each other to open the book.  Then, we read it.  Simple and fun.

I like to number the books so that the Santa-type ones are evenly spaced with Nativity-type books, and the really great ones are out longer than the so-so ones. Some of them I don't mind reading every day all month, others I'm glad will be around for only a week until they get put away, if you get my drift.

Last year I bought the majority of my books in a lot on Ebay.  That was great and saved a lot of money, but I knew that some of the books would not be favorites (I was right), and so I plan on swapping out some not-favorites for a new book each year.  This year there are three new books in rotation, but next year (and the next and the next etc.) I plan on doing only one new book, until our Christmas book library is full of only the best.

So, partly for myself and partly because I think I just might be able to help somebody else choose Christmas books that they can really get excited about, I thought I would share which books we have in the pile this year and what we do or don't like about them.

December 1
Snowmen at Christmas by Caralyn Beuhner
Illustrated by Mark Beuhner

This is easily one of my favorites.  There is a reason it's the first book to be opened!  The rhyming story is pleasant to read and flows smoothly, which is a big deal to me, as the primary reader in the house. The pictures are absolutely amazing. I can't get over the beautiful way that the glow of Christmas lights is portrayed.  Also, there are several hidden pictures on every page. There's a mouse, which is fairly easy to find (my 4-year-old can find it), and 3 or 4 (maybe 5?) others which are difficult for an adult.  This book is such fun!  This one is in our collection permanently.

December 2
How do Dinosaurs Say Merry Christmas? by Jane Yolen
Illustrated by Mark Teague


This is a new one this year for us. I bought it mainly because Wyatt loves all of the other "How do Dinosaurs" books.  Some of them are better than others.  I'm afraid this one lands in the "others" category.  It's not bad, by any means, but I was disappointed in the emphasis only on what not to do (lick all the candy, take all the presents) rather than good things to do at Christmas (Maybe giving a gift to someone else would have been a good idea?)  Anyway, this one is here to stay for a while.  It might get changed out when the kids are older and not as obsessed with dinosaurs.

December 3
Jingle Bells written and illustrated by Iza Trapani

This is a cute book that can be read OR sung to the tune of Jingle Bells.  I like it because it explores the Christmas traditions of other countries in the world.  Wyatt loves that we sing the chorus.  I don't see myself ever swapping this one out.

December 4
This is the Stable by Cynthia Cotten
illustrated by Delana Bettoli

inside:
 
 This is the Stable is another one that is staying forever in our collection.  The words are beautiful and the pictures are too.  The boys love finding and pointing out all of the animals on each page. This is probably my favorite nativity book.

December 5
The Polar Express written and illustrated by Chris van Allsburg

I already know people are not going to agree with me on this. So if you know and love this book, go ahead and skip what I have to say about it. I had never read the book before I ordered it.  I had seen the movie and liked it, and I have also read and loved several other of Chris van Allsburg's books, so I thought I would love this book.
I was underwhelmed. 
The writing feels choppy to me, especially for reading aloud.  The pictures are ok, but give a very creepy vibe to the North Pole.  I am also not a big fan of the huge emphasis on the "Santa is real" theme, which is what this book is all about.  There's no mention of the joy of giving or anything else to do with the true meaning of Christmas.
We are keeping it for now because Wyatt loves trains.  It will most likely get swapped out in coming years.

December 6
The Twelve Days of Christmas illustrated by Don Daily


The pictures are cute, but the version I have of this book is teeny tiny - 3 inches tall by 2.5 inches wide.  It's fun, but I plan to swap it out for a bigger version of this book/song.  Whether the same illustrations or different ones I don't know yet.

December 7
C is for Christmas written and illustrated by Tonya Skousen Arenaz

Another new one for us this year.  It's a keeper!
The format is simple - A for this B for that, and so on - but the illustrations are AMAZING!  The boys are as mesmerized by them as I am.  My favorite is on pages 17-18, letter Q.  Coming in a close second are all of the other Nativity scenes. You'll just have to see it for yourself. 

Coming up: our Christmas books December 8-14.  Or maybe more, depending what day it is when I get around to posting again :)


No comments:

Post a Comment